Friday, January 31, 2020

Trust Issues

Today is Friday. TGIF.

I was off yesterday. Sunny woke up with a fever. Crying hysterically that her head hurt...and she was coughing...and she was thirsty. My first question was - why didn't you get water before you came to me...?

You know me - fix the problems you can...

So we got water, checked her temp and took the meds we had. I'm out of Tylenol - or was at the time. Our usual issues are allergy related - so we took something to stop the cough and rest first to see what we could do once the sun rose.

I felt horrible that she had to miss school. She was all out last week - for personal reasons (we'll have to come back to this at some point) and this week was her first week in a new class (related to the earlier story....we'll get there) - so it was pretty suspicious for her to be out for the rest of the week - but alas.

We ran up to the grocery store as soon as we (I) got up. Sunny was full on moaning in pain. I honestly can't tell the different between her drama and fact. She plays me though. I'm fully aware that she knows exactly how to freak me out. When she broke her ankle a few years ago - she cried for 30 seconds and then asked to go ice skating. The next morning she walked up and down three flights of stairs totally fine, and then cried to my mother about the pain later. When she's actually in pain she never cries to me. My mom was the one who ended up guilting me to the emergency room. She still hasn't let me live down the fact that her ankle was actually broken...(the doctor did say that it was a small break - and most ppl wouldn't notice...but i still feel bad about it).

When Sunny screams and cries she's usually faking.

She admitted it to me at least once. When she's actually hurting she stays silent - suffering in silence until she can be alone. When she wants attention she turns on the water works.

Cuz she's cute.

and little. 

and cries like Shirley Temple. 

Image result for shirley temple crying gif"

I'm never going to put her in acting classes...
...she'd somehow use it to take over the world.

So anyway - back to the story -  she woke up screaming and crying about being thirsty - and her head hurting. We trekked up to the store and she moaned the whole drive. I ignored it...until i thought maybe i was being a sociopath...then asked directly -

"are you moaning because your head hurts that much - or do you just like the sound of it?"


Image result for shirley temple thinking gif"
She stopped...


and thought about it


and calmly responded


"my head does hurt...but i guess not really that bad"


We picked up meds, crackers, soup, and cookies and buckled down to spend the afternoon quarantined in the house. 

Until she started complaining that her back felt stiff. 

Which was random - and obscure - and scary enough to bring up fears of meningitis... and we rushed to the doctors office. 

I rushed. I sped. I called my mother and we freaked out worrying about what this could be. I sped her up the hospital stairs. I barked at the receptionist for time lines and expectations. 

Sunny huddled on the floor claiming the doctor's office chairs were too uncomfortable in her fragile state. 

we finally were called back and i was summarized all of her symptoms to the poor bedraggled nurse, Sunny decided that the sick patient act was getting old - and decided to switch roles. 

Image result for shirley temple thinking gif"


Fever suddenly gone. Energy levels high. As i explained that she woke up crying with a head ache she bounced up in down from examination table to the floor. As I explained how her fever kept jumping up and down she did sit up on the table. As i told them my concerns about back pain and headaches she practiced her bridge and cartwheels. 

The nurse eyed me judgingly- probably assuming that I was one of those helicopter parents rather than the Darwanistic-only-the-strong-survive type of mom I actually am...

The nurse leaves... and suddenly - boom - like the curtain closed and new show has begun

Image result for dramatic swoon gif"

long story short - she has a virus. 

Tylenol and rest...

and a lifetime worth of trust issues for me.

Image result for trust issues gif"

No comments:

Post a Comment