Monday, September 14, 2015

You've got a friend in me...

One of best friends is getting married soon.

and i couldn't be more excited.



I've never really been one of claim a best friend. Not since preschool when I claimed Anna as my best friend and she turned around I said her best friend was Melody. I honestly think that was the last time I ever really tried...

Not to say I'm a loner. I have friends. really close friends. People I've known since preschool Anna for example - we had a 20 year reunion last year.


I can remember being a little girl and hearing my mother say that your husband should be your best friend. She probably said that in passing. She probably meant it in a completely different way. but i remember it. and i think that's why i tended to ditch friends whenever i had a boyfriend.

and then even when i don't have a boyfriend i have these "gypsy moments." These moments where my skin just feels too tight. This urge to just run and run and run...this feeling where I just need time alone to think or write or just...sleep...


so finding friends that understand that can be hard.

Friends that can deal with my over analyzing. my google stalking. my ranting just for the sake of ranting. my occassional dane cook references.

my bon qui qui references.


My need for spreadsheets and lists and plans and occasional no plan at all and just jumping in the car and going for an adventure...



Finding friends that you can go days...weeks...maybe even months between talking to...but still being friends. that's hard

I have a few friends that fit in that category.


even fewer that I could call my best friends.

2 actually


Rita and Martina

and they've been there for it all. For drunken college nights. Pledge meetings. bad hook ups. worse break ups. early morning coffee dates. and late nights where we wouldnt even speak but just sit together in the same room reading or watching tv...or just...sleeping.

When I decided i needed to move and couldn't afford a ticket Rita said "I always wanted to go on a road trip."


When I was 3k miles away with a 1 year old and felt alone and weak and called Martina saying i didn't think i could do it she simple said, "but i know you can"


They are simply the best people I know...and I couldn't be prouder to know them...and I couldn't be happier to call them my besties.


I met Martina before she met me. lol

She hates this story because...well it sounds kind of creepy honestly.

So I went to a small liberal arts college. Like tiny. It was the stereotypical liberal arts college in the north east. It was beautiful.

the first time i went there was for a college tour with my mother. It was like 8am on a sunday and the campus was dead except for the hoard of accepted students milling around with their legal guardians, and a group of upper class tourguides...

oh...and Martina ...

it was actually kind of suspicious. like something staged by the committee to show that students actually study on the weekend. the first time i saw her she was wandering into the library at like 8am on a Sunday...in sweatpants, a wifebeater, and no backpack...

i told her that years later and she swore i had stalked her.

i hadn't.

I mean there were like under 1k kids on campus...
we ran into each other...that's not stalking...

we saw each other around campus during my freshmen year, but i don't think we ever spoke until we pledge together my sophomore year. I just decided we were going to be BFFs. she thought i was nuts...but we were similar types of crazy and well..it worked.


I think I met Rita that same year. She was a freshmen my junior year.

She became good friends with a mutual friends younger sister. Rita and Naomi were connected at the hip their whole freshmen year. and Naomi's personality was so large that everyone else seems to vanish within it. But there was just something about Rita.

I honestly don't remember the exact moment we became friends. it was just kind of like we slid into it.

One day we were talking and I realized that all of those large and entertaining qualities that Naomi used to explode out with...were all coming from Rita. That she was kind of amazing. And real.

She was soo real.

So much so that we had to come up with a code phrase to either prepare oneself for possibly getting your feelings hurt with something that you knew to be true...but hell...sometimes you just want to avoid it sometimes.



But of the people from College that I still talk to...well its mainly those two. Mostly those two.

We meet up whenever I'm in town. We call each other weekly. I text them. I have to admit I'm not the best friend though. I forget to respond to messages. I don't always call people back immediately. The time difference is a BITCH.

But i have these moments when I just sit in my apartment late at night and just miss them.

I was just talking to Martina about that yesterday. She was trying to convince me to move back and that we could all get apartments in the same building and it would be like college all over again. And just the thought of being able to walk down the hall and see them both again...that would be the dream...

But before this gets any sappier....



Martina is getting married. and I could't be any happier for her.

I'm spreading the word around here like my coworkers know who she is. lol.

Plannign out bridal shower gifts and wedding gifts and hell...i'm even looking into future baby shower gifts...because the world needs more Martina's in it.

and i guess.... I dunno...

i just wanted to write it all down.


I don't tell them enough how much I love them. I never tell me how much I appreciate them....i rarely tell them how much I miss them...



but i do...

                         all the time.

                                                                always...


                                                                                           more and more everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment