Monday, September 14, 2015

What ever happened to Chuck?

I've had three real relationships in my life. of the almost 30 years of existence that's it.





I was a bit of a late bloomer I guess you could say. I didn't get kissed until I was 16 and then had a boyfriend for about a month before that exploded. I mean for me any way...Things have turned out great for him. He actually ended up marrying the girl he made out with during our short "relationship."

I guess you could call me the female pg rated Good Luck Chuck.


Every guy that I've dated has gone on into having a long term successful relationship with the next girl he's met...most of them have married them.

You know that Taylor Swift joke? The one where you realize that the only thing that all of her failed relationships have in common are...her...

well...i'm not saying anything...but....


anyway...i wasn't actually talking about that first guy. He doesn't really count in the grand scheme of relationships. No offense...but at 16...and maybe a month of dating...really he was just an extended first kiss.




So of the three that I do count:

1. The Jock

2. The Lumberjack

3. The X



Part 1

I dated The Jock my Senior year in high school. For about 6 months...which in hs years was AGES.... we'd been friends for about a year...but of that time he was dating someone else.

yeah i know...i just didn't see that flag at the time...

My junior year in high school my dad left. I didn't make the field hockey team...and well life as i knew it kind of turned sideways...I started helping out with the football team and that's where I met...The Jock...He was a senior and tall and smart and handsome and well...he was beautiful in that high school jock teen flick kind of way. and he talked to me. like actually talked to me. about school and life and family...

I'd never had that before. I never expected anything to happen. I didn't expect anything at all but just the chance to stand next to him and smile. and day dream...and well be 17 and infatuated with "that guy."



That year I met someone else who kind of changed my life. Lets call him The Artist. We took Physics together and he was...well he was what nice sweet guys were made of. Everything a girl should want...and I did...but at 17...well at 17 I wasn't going after what I wanted...I was waiting for someone to go after me...

He was quiet and shy. He had this dimple in his cheek that it was like he tried to hide and because of that I did everything I could to get him to smile. He carried a sketch pad around with him and was always  drawing. his hands were always moving. He was amazing. Absolutely amazing. and I fell for him in that innocent way you fall for someone you want to save. Someone you just want to see you and smile.

He was the complete opposite to The Jock. Where I waited for The Jock to come after me...I chased The Artist down. Where I laughed at everything The Jock said...i planned out things I would say to The Artist. Things I knew would get a reaction...

It wasn't until much later that I found out they were best friends...much later...

...when it was much too late to stop liking either one of them. 

typical.

I asked The Artist to Prom. I planned out what I was going to say. I mapped out where his last class was. I let fate decide in a way. If he was there I'd ask...if not..well if not it wasn't meant to be...


He was there. lol

I remember it like it was yesterday. I remember my hands shaking. I remember my heart racing...

I remember stumbling through "so...are you going to prom with anyone?...you...uh...you wanna go with me?"

and he smiled...

and i think i said "o ok..." and like walked away...lol...


The day before prom a got a note...passed through three different people until it finally got to me...from The Jock...a hand written note saying how he'd always liked me...how he heard I was going to Prom with his friend...but he'd always wished we got together...and wondered what it could have been like...what we could have been...

and there went the world...

prom was awkward. we all shared a limo. The night was full of secret smiles and inside jokes and hidden tickles...from the wrong guy...

we dated for 6 months...and I burned some bridges...and in the end...he broke my heart...


I somehow stayed friends with The Artist. It took a bit...but he honestly ended up being one of my best friends...until...well...he wasn't....

But that's a story for another time...

Part 2

The next guy i dated was in college.

he's actually one of the 3 people that reads this blog...so take everything with a grain of salt...

I met the Lumber Jack my first month on campus. I went to a small Liberal Arts College in the middle of no where. The night life could leave a lot to be desired. I met The Lumber Jack through friends. I was going to a campus party with some girls from down the hall and he...well he was the only guy there.

He was a tall, blond, football player from farm country. lol. I laughed when i first met him and told him we would never get together.

he bit me in return.

and some how...at 19...that meant I love you.

We were inseparable from that moment on. He was my first in so many ways. My first vacation. The first time someone took me home. The first one to meet my mom. The first...he was just the first...

He was a nice guy...a really nice guy. big and burly and sweet. so nice that after our first time he actually answered that phone call from his ex gf...i give him grief about that to this day.

He dated a girl for what 5 years after that? we talk about every day...i mean via gchat...but still...He's the only x that I'm still friends with.


Part 3

the last guy

The X

The X was a summer fling that just kind of extended.


I had dated someone after The Lumber Jack...but we were better friends that girlfriend/boyfriend. When I went home for the summer I met The X while waiting tables at a local pizza parlor.

I thought he was cute. He was quiet, a strange mixture or shy and cocky that I just couldn't say no to...

I told him I had a boyfriend when he asked me out to the movies.

His response "I didn't ask you that. I asked if you wanted to see a movie..."


i was dumb...

We went to McDonald's. We snuck into a movie. He kissed me in the back row and tried to feel me up in the car. For a girl that never went out in high school it was like living for the first time...

i was really dumb...

I broke up with what's his name and some how the relationship continued. During Junior and Senior year in college...and I...I dunno...whenever anything went wrong I would just remind myself how great it was in the beginning.


and even then it wasn't that great. 

So I stayed after I saw the first text message from some girl. I stayed after the topless picture of another girl. Hell I even stayed when he left his email open on my computer where he was making plans to hang out with someone else when I was out of town.

I stayed...and stayed...and stayed...and I think I thought that if i just kept staying at some point...he'd stop going.


he didn't...

We broke up shortly after I graduated from College. I just kind of woke up one day and realized that nothing was ever going to change.

yeah that or we went to the club one night and he threw a guy across the room for touching my hip when he was passing by...but you choose whichever story you like better...

we were a part for about 2 months...on and off for about 3 or 4...and during that time I did what young women do. I partied with friends. I went to Vegas. I did everything but date...i just couldn't. Everyone was just...like him I guess. It was all the same BS just a different face attached to it...

I stayed in contact with his family. Talking to his sister at least once a month. His mother on holidays. Went to the beach with all of his cousins. I missed them. I think I might have missed them more than I missed him, honestly.

and I guess that was the door I left cracked open.


He'd dated during that time. No surprise there. He'd actually settled down with someone. So how we ended back together is still kind a questionable. I'm not sure of those two ever actually ended or how that overlap went.

But we dated again...and nothing had changed. we were just older...making the same mistakes...with no excuses.


and then about 10 months later...a week before we were going to sign off on an apartment

i found out i was pregnant

and there went the world again

so i did what any crazy girl would do...i got married. 

and wasn't even a little surprised when it all fell apart.

...ok maybe a little...

He's married now by the way. to the other girl. they have a baby any everything. 



so it seems like Good Luck Chuck struck again






but that brings us to the present...

so you can see why I'm kind of

skeptical about dating now...mainly because I'm a HORRIBLE judge in character...

but hopefully...this blog will help me put things in character...so well...i won't fall for the BS again...


No comments:

Post a Comment