Wednesday, September 16, 2015

What are you reading Wednesday?

I've been reading like CRAZY recently.


all of my favorites have released books recently so I've been lost to the world. OOO and then I won an award at work. $25 amazon gift card...

just the excuse I needed to go book shopping.



Sunny has actually started hiding my kindle because i can't seem to put it down at night.

Lets start with the new author that I read recently.

Micaela Smeltzer

I ran across the Willow Creek series because...well I think I've read every other rock band romance series out there...I'm really over rocker romances at this point....the recommended book on amazon are well...more rocker romances...

So I'm trying to be impartial...but I think it's time for me to switch genre's for a while. I'm thinking of going back and finished up the Ender/Beans series...
(expand the horizon...get it..?)

There are four books in the Willow Creek series -  one for each band member. And I read them all in about a week so here we go with the reviews and recommendations...

The first book in the series is based on Maddox Wade and [[]]. This was a really cute PG rated high school romance. [[GIRL]] is your quintessential girl next door. She's kind of nerdy, beautiful without realizing it and a a hippy by nature. She's also a piano genius, rights music, but on;y listens to classical which is a perfect segue into how she runs into a world famous rock star and has no idea who he is. 
This was like a high school version of Kylie Scott's Lick. Well except the drunken wedding...It was cute. Hell it got me to read the rest of them .


Book two is based on Mathias Wade, Maddox's twin and his much mentioned long lost love, Remy. Mathias and Remy have dysfunctional kind of love affair. I kind of felt like I was missing something with all of the hot and cold going on in the story. And I don't know what happened between book 1 and book 2 ...but this one was like R rated compared to the last one. 
The last one the lights would turn off and the chapter would end...in this one...hell i kind of wanted the lights to turn off once in a while. 
It was a touching story. There were a lot of past issues Remy and Mathias had to work through. The story kind of jumped between going really slow to running full speed ahead. 
It wasn't my favorite of the series...
I preferred Lead by Kylie Scott...
Ornery lead singer. Strong independent woman. Lust, love. you get the idea. 

This one was my favorite. This was Ezra and Sadie's story. Sadie was Emma's best friend. And she's been in and out of the last few books. Some where along the line she became best friends with Ezra, Maddox and Mathias' foster brother. I missed when that happened, but anyway...
I'm a sucker for a friends to lover's story. 
Sadie finds out her fiance is cheating on her a week before her wedding and calls on Ezra to help...and suddenly the attraction they've been fighting all along explodes. 
I really enjoyed this one. The relationship seemed genuine. The issues were plausible and the characters were repeatably flawed. 


This was the book that actually started me on the series. I downloaded the sample and thought...hell lets start from the beginning. Arden is a single mother of a 3 year old and Hayes falls in love with her immediately. I mean that's the dream right? 
Anywhoo. The story starts off really well. Arden is a single mother and she's struggling and she's trying to protect her daughter but she's kind of falling for this guy who will do anything for her. Honestly the book could have ended half way through for me and I would have been satisfied. 
I think she fell in love like CRAZY fast. Not judging anyone elses parenting style...but the sleepover with him and her daughter was kind of too soon for me. 
but i guess they had to make room for craziness to come. Like Haye's crazy ass sister and her rude comments - that was never resolved and personally not handled the way I wold have liked. And then the sudden reappearance of her crazy ex husband. 
*SPOILER ALERT*
Oh that's another thing- she spend like so long talking about how upset she is that he left her all alone when she was pregnant - but then you find out he was beating her. But  when she was pregnant bounced...but she resents him for it? ummm...what?!?!
Then he comes back and starts breaking into her house and kidnaps her kid...and she like loses it. (understandable) but like...i don't think her sadness was enough...then suddenly the baby is found in a warehouse in NY...(they live in VA) and the guy is no where to be found...but boom suddenly he's in VA and breaking into a house (why doesn't anyone have a security system) and the body guards don't hear it (FIRED)...and then suddenly Hayes has a gun...

it was too much...just too much...

they lived happily ever after...the end. 

if you're looking for a cute sappy romance with a mom and a rich guy i'd suggest Kendall Ryan's Filthy Beautiful Lust
The woman has a kid and she's struggling. A guy falls for her...he's falls for him. The dad comes back. its more realistic...while still being a romance. 


Recommendation: eh...They're were cute. Don't knock it. They weren't my favorite rock star romance series. They weren't the worst either. Ms. Smeltzer is a good writer. She developed the characters, the plot was well thought out, the series was addicting. I'll probably go back and read some other books that she's written. Of the four I would probably recommend book 3 - that one was really cute. 


Claire Contreras came out with a new book




I think Its gotten to the point where this woman could do no wrong to me. I fall in love with ever book I pick up by her. 

I think I posted about Torn Hearts last month, and since then I've been counting down to the release of paper hearts. 

Paper Hearts starts right where Kaleidoscope Hearts(KH) ends. The story follows Jensen and Mia. Friends who became lovers who broke apart. Their love story is hinted to in KH, and the background is given in Torn Hearts...but nothing can really prepare you for this story. 

So quick summary of Torn Hearts:
Mia and Jensen grew up together. They didn't start dating until College (these aren't spoilers...) until Jensen got into school across the country and they took a break. During that time Jensen got someone else pregnant. Suddenly both Jensen and Mia are forced to figure out what they're going to do now that their lives are being pulled in different directions. 

Paper Hearts starts at the epilogue of KH - at the wedding - where suddenly Mia and Jensen are forced to interact for the first time in 7 years.  and book progresses and big life changes keep pushing them into each other, but there's a lot of past issues that need to be resolved before they can move forward. 

The book brought back characters from KH. You get to see Elle, Oliver, and Victor. You get tons more of her brother, which was a lot of fun. There are great family dinner's with Mia's parents, and even a cameo of Jensen's foster mother.

It also introduced new characters and new environment. Jensen has a daughter, Olivia, who he's co-parenting with his ex wife. I really liked seeing a dad trying to find love. I thought the issues were totally realistic. I liked that even though they had a past it's been 7 years and their different people, but still...well who they have always been. 

I love how Claire writes. Dual perspective isn't for everyone. And a lot of times I avoid them like the plague because well...men and women don't think the same way and a lot of times authors make you believe life is a Nicolas Sparks books. Claire doesn't...she really gets into their heads. Everyone is flawed...and the best part of all...they don't lean on someone else to fix them. 

The characters have to pick up the broken pieces and glue them back together on their own. 

There's one line that says something like "I know I can live with her, but I don't want to anymore"

like come on!

Jensen is a writer, and his perspective is written like bits of his weekly column. I really tried to hate it. I don't know if it was my kindle or what, but 

t         h         e             w          o         r         d         s         l         o         o         k         e         d  
l         i         k         e                  t         h         i         s.
a         n         d                  t         r         y         i         n         g                  t         o
r         e         a         d              i         t                  w         a         s           l         i         k         e
b         r         a         i         l         l         e.

but in a matter of lines you get used to it and you don't want it to change. you really learn how to understand Jensen. The whole point of the character is that two people can love each other and understand what is said in the silence

To love someone and not want to change them.

Recommendation: I LOVED this book. Every second of it. I couldn't put it down and when i wasn't reading it I was thinking of everything that happened in it. I've recommended this to everyone I've spoken to since I got it. It's just a great story with a great meaning. just...READ. IT!

Last book that I completed this week:



I haven't really gotten into my love of Whitney G. yet. I'm waiting for Resentment to come out, so I can just well devote a week or two on everything she's written that I love...but in the meantime she released an extended sequel to Sincerely Carter (which was awesome).

You've got to read Sincerely Carter to understand this story. (Which I totally recommend you do...because I've read it like 4 times already and still laugh when I read it). Sincerely Arizona starts right at the end and just kind of ties of loose ends. 

I don't really want to give too much away. 

There's another one coming out in 2016 - like a side story about their other friend Ethan. So I'm excited. But I'll get into that later. 


So I've been reading a lot in a week. And I'm still working on a couple more that came out recently, but haven't gotten around to completing. But yeah...

if anyone is ever looking for the perfect gift for me it would be an Amazon gift card...because well, 


No comments:

Post a Comment