Tuesday, September 22, 2015

The world's worst game of Where's Waldo

So every office has a "Karen" and I found ours.

So i got hired in July - right around the same time as...hmm...lets call her Artie, right around the time that Artie quit. Artie had been here for 100 years...or at least that's what she'll tell you. and she decided she wanted bigger and better opportunities.


Well my recruiter set me up with an interview here and they actually didn't hire me for it - they created another position for me...well because


Or something like that. Well Artie last a week at her new place and decided she wanted back into the fold. However....by then I was in her seat.


I took over her clients, her attorney, and her desk. Not intentional...that was what I was hired to do. 

I actually was here for about 2 weeks before she started. But from the moment she walked in...


At first I figured it was because I was new and she didn't trust me. Or that I took her spot. 

and...I mean...I don't have to like the people I work with. 



I can still get my job done.

 But that moment that you interrupt me in a meeting to tell me I'm wrong...when I'm not. 



I've noticed since I've become a paralegal that I have the same issues with older coworkers. I'm assuming its because I look like I'm 15 and i giggle a lot...that they think I don't know how to do my job....

and it only takes like one rude thing for me to be like 


Well Artie...I guess this is how it is now. We've been working on a project together for the whole week - and I've noticed I'm not the only one who reacts to her the way I do. I've been trying to stay nice...but it keeps fading at the end



We're having a hard time handing over responsibilities that are no longer on their plate. and I've actually been authorized to 


but, come on, I'm not that kind of girl. 


I'm really not confrontational. well not verbally..


Well I've spoken to a couple of the people and realized that Artie is...well, Artie. And I'm not the only person that she's rubbed the wrong way. 

which is actually a relief


(p.s. it's always really awkward to walk into someones office, shut the door and ask, "is she a bitch to everyone or is it just me..? cuz that could only go one of two ways...)

Are women the only ones who have these issues at work?

I never hear men talking about "that bitch in the office" or maybe they just punch each other and get over it. 

Women...we fight in subtext. 


and I'm just getting so tired or constantly reading between the lines...


one of these days I'm just going to have a Come-to-Jesus speech with some people. 

but before then I'm going to have to figure out how to walk that narrow line between assertive and ratchet...

and i have a tendency to trip over to one side

...not mentioning which one...



i'll let you decide. 

No comments:

Post a Comment