Wednesday, August 5, 2015

What are you reading Wednesday?

Background - I'm the Harry Potter Generation - i.e. i read the books BEFORE the movies.


So I read a lot. Like A LOT. I find an author and just obsess until I've read everything they've ever written or until they just kind of give up the ghost and change their writing style to something I just can't handle anymore. (not mentioning any names...). Not to mention the kidlet has taken over the tv...so its either the kindle or Caillou.

My favorite books are a list that crazier than a normal person would understand. Just to name a few:
  • Harry Potter  by J.K Rowling 
    • 1-7 pick one. they're all up there. I'd say 7, 3, and 1 are probably a bit more dear to me, but that changed kind or daily
  • Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
    • I got really into Bean's story too, but I had to pull back when I started dreaming about military maneuvers in Burma...which isn't even a country anymore and things got real...
  • Whitney, my Love by Judith McNaught
    • The first romance novel I EVER read. It started the obsession...It started everything. 
  • Confess by Colleen Hoover
    • Or anything by Colleen Hoover. She's fantastic. I keep trying to get people to fall on the band wagon, but they keep resisting. Just fall already. FALL. I will warn you about Ugly Love...only read that if you really want to die...
  • Acheron by Sherrilyn Kenyon
    • Oh the dark hunters. My dirty little secret for so long until I shared it with the BFF. I kind of stopped reading the series after this one. I think after your favorite character's story has been resolved you don't really need to know what else happens
  • The Wind Done Gone by Alice Randall
    • Wow was this book too soon when i read it. But it was amazing. I read it every summer for years. Its AMAZING. 
  • Glitter Baby by Susan Elizabeth Phillips
    • Great writer. Just great. And I'm big on back stories so this was fantastic. 
  • Kaleidoscope Hearts - Clair Contreras 
    • A new author I started reading. I don't even know how I feel into this book, but man am I happy I did. 
  • Lead by Kylie Scott
    • The whole Stage dive series is fantastic and the audio books are narrated by Andi Arndt which makes it even better, but there's just something about the dynamic of the two main characters...omg...
  • The Fault in Our Stars by James Green
    • don't judge me....i know...
  • and on and on and on...

That list grows and shrinks...but those are currently at the top of my kindle.

Right now I'm reading a lot of Whitney Gracia Williams, Kendall Ryan, Kylie Scott, and Jamie Shaw. Waiting for the next Whitney book to come out, still working on Kendall Ryan, finished Kylie Scott, so I think I'll wait and writing their odes a bit later...

So let's focus on Jamie Shaw since I just finished her latest book last week. 


I accidentally joined the Last Ones to Know fandom. I am a HUGE Andi Arndt fan. She's the best audiobook narrator that I've come across. I listen to all of her books. That's how I found Kylie Scott, and the Stage Dive crew. It's also how i found Mayhem...

The books are based around a band called...you guess it

The Last Ones to Know. 


Book 1 Mayhem


Which is about Lead singer Adam and Nerdy girl Rowan. It's a cute Cinderella story. A college age story of mistaken identity, full of alcohol, and rock and roll.  You know how it's going to end even before it begins...but hey, if you have a free token ready on audible - get it. It'll make your day.

The audiobook is narrated by Andy, which i'm sure you're aware. So even if the book wasn't fantastic...she would make it. Luckily enough the book stands on it's own two feet, and her humor and acting prowess just make it smooth like butter...

Book 2 - Riot

I don't even know if I have words for this one. Like it throws you through so many loops you finish it catching your breath.

It stars bass player Joel and best friend Dee. It brings back the old crew, but with a new dynamic - since these two characters start off skipping straight to the physical and then some how muddling through the rest. It had highs and lows, tears and heart break. Damn book made me cry like 3 times, but it was fantastic.

It was nice to see the old crew again. I wasn't sure how I'd feel about Joel since I wasn't too crazy about him in book 1, but dammit he caught me off guard. He has a tough up bringing, hell Dee has a tough background and trying to get either one of them to let down the guard is frustrating...but it works.

It's a college age story, so we're not looking for them to get married at the end, but it fits perfectly with the age group and the fights and make ups and break ups just remind me a lot of life in my early twenties. 

and finally

Book 3 - Chaos.


I counted down to this book. I preordered this book. I stayed up all night reading the book and then still had to buy the audio book because I couldn't put it down on my way to work.

Actually for some crazy reason Chos released at 9pm on my kindle instead of midnight (So midnight EST). Best surprise ever. But don't tell Amazon....


It might be my favorite of the series thus far. 

Chaos starts during Riot so you kind of know what's going on if you've been reading the series. Lead guitarist, Shawn Scarlett, had been my favorite from book 1. I'd been waiting to see him lose his footing and he finally did with Kit Larson. They have a past that neither one wants to admit to the other, and an obvious attraction. It was perfect in the sense that no one is actually the good guy in the situation. I don't want to give away any spoilers, because the story is too great to ruin.

There's a great cast of supporting characters. The band and the girlfriends that you grow attached to in the first 2 books are there. The book focuses more on Kit and her family which consists of 4 brothers. They're there and they add insight, laughs, and pull on your heart strings, but they don't over power the story.

I wish there was a bit more about Shawn's background. I would love to see his family at some point, but I'm sucker for a back story. 

I fell hard for these too. Yelling at them when they made the wrong choices, sighing when they made the right ones. Oh the feels. 




And to make it even better the epilogue starts you right into Mike's book. Not sure when that comes out, but I'm looking forward to it. 

Great book. Great series. 


Totally recommending it to everyone 

No comments:

Post a Comment